Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
@VeganChefRon on youtube
Don’t forget to like, share and subscribe! ❤
It’s smooth, velvety and full of curry flavour! Topped with roasted peanuts and crunchy kale chips, too. Makes for a perfect lunch or dinner. Get the recipe below!👇
1 (2 lb) butternut squash
2 sweet potatoes
3 tbsp avocado oil (or other neutral oil)
1 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp avocado oil (or other neutral oil)
4 cups (1 L) vegetable broth , plus more if needed
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
1/3 cup (40 g) peanuts , for garnish (optional)
kale chips , for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Peel and chop butternut squash into small bite-sized cubes. Chop sweet potato into bite sized cubes. Add veg to a baking dish and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle generously with sea salt and cook for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
2. Dice onion and garlic and add to a large pot with a pinch of sea salt. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of oil and bring to medium-low heat. Simmer on low, until onion softens (10 mins). Add roasted squash and sweet potato and pour in the vegetable broth.
3. Bring to simmer and add spices: curry powder, cumin, paprika, ginger and cayenne. Puree soup with hand mixer, or transfer to a blender to puree in batches. (Optional to add splashes more broth if needed for blending if it’s too thick). Pour the coconut milk into the pureed soup to finish, stir to combine.
4. In a skillet toast peanuts on medium-high heat until browned and fragrant (approx. 5 minutes). Make kale chips for garnish (recipe on the blog).
5. Pour soup into bowls and top with roasted peanuts and kale chips. Season with sea salt and pepper.