STICKY CHINESE AUBERGINE recipe by @goodmoodfood.uk 🍆
RECIPE (Serves 4):
• 2 large aubergine (eggplant)
• 2tsp salt
• 1.5tbsp cornflour
• 2tbsp oil
• 2 spring onions, sliced
• 1 red chilli, sliced,
• 2 garlic cloves, sliced
• 2.5cm fresh ginger, grated
• Sesame seeds
For the sauce:
• 3tbsp soy sauce
• 4tsp rice wine vinegar
• 1tbsp maple syrup
• 1tbsp sesame oil
• 2tsp cornflour
1. Cut aubergine into 3 thick slices, then cut each slice into wedges lengthways.
2. Add wedges to a colander, toss in 1tbsp sea salt & let sit for 40 mins.
3. Meanwhile, combine in the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, sesame oil & 3tbsp water in a small bowl.
4. In another separate bowl, whisk the 2tsp cornflour & 2tbsp water together. Set aside.
5. Wash the salt off the aubergines and pat dry. Add 1.5tbsp cornflour & aubergine to a resealable bag, shake until all the aubergine is coated. If you don’t have a bag, just use a bowl.
6. Heat 1tbsp oil in a large frying pan, add the aubergine in one layer (if your pan is small you may have to cook in batches) & fry for 3-4 minutes, until golden on one side.
7. Flip the aubergine over & cook until browned evenly on all sides. Remove from the pan & set aside.
8. Add 1tbsp oil, spring onions & chilli into the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, until soft then add the garlic & ginger.
9. Once fragrant, push aromatics aside & add the sauce mixture followed by the cornflour mix. Stir well, incorporating the aromatics until the sauce has thickened & sticky.
10. Once the sauce has thickened, re-add the aubergine & coat with the sauce. When warmed through, take off heat. Mix through sesame seeds & then dig in! ✨🍆✨🍆