Stuffed aubergine ( Bharli vangi) – Maharashtrian style recipe by @ayushi_cooking
Ingredients For stuffing 500 g (16oz) aubergine (eggplant),small purple coloured¼ cup Peanuts (Roasted)½ cup Fresh Coconut (Grated)
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tbsp sesame
2 tsp tamarind paste
2 tbsp coriander powder
2 green chillies
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 inch Ginger 1 small onion
3-4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp goda masala ( or substitute it with 1 tsp garam masala)
Handful chopped coriander leaves Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
Pinch of heeng
1 tomato 5-6 Curry Leaves1/2 tsp turmeric powder. 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp jaggery powder/sugar
1 cup water or more based on desired consistency
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
* Wash aubergine thoroughly and make two long slits crossing each them keeping the crown intact. Soak them in water to avoid discolouration.
* Add all the ingredients for stuffing leaving aubergine and coriander leaves in blender and make smooth paste. Add little water if required.
* Add fresh coriander in the masala paste and mix well. Stuff aubergine with this mixture. Some mixture will be left which will be used for gravy.
* In a pan, add oil. Add pinch of heeng, curry leaves and fry for few seconds. Put turmeric powder and chilli powder. Stir continuously and add left over mixture from stuffing with chopped tomatoes.
* Sauté till tomato becomes soft and mushy. Add jaggery powder, aubergine and 1 cup water. Also, add salt as per taste.
* Cover and cook on low heat until aubergine are cooked.
Garnish it with fresh chopped coriander and serve.